Most of the people think that nutrition labels are some complex science terms but they’re pretty simple to read and understand.
The best way to improve health isn’t checking your weight and counting calories while working out. When you work out, your muscle mass is building while fat mass is burning. So it may or may not have an impact on your weight so soon. Now, while keeping a check on your diet during exercise, the best way is to read ‘nutrition labels’.
Let’s walk through how to read nutrition labels
Note: The general guide is based on a 2000 calorie diet. So the per cent mentioned after each ingredient is the per cent of one serving for a 2000 calorie diet.
- Ingredients: First three ingredients are in the highest quantity in a product. If sugar appears to be in the first three ingredients, it’s a dessert! Specially, check it for your morning cereal box.
- Serving size: Pretty self explanatory, it is the portion you can make out of the total product. Keep a check on servings per container, you’ll know why
- Calories: This is what most of the people look at. Make sure, if the packet says, 200 calories, and the servings per container is 8, then that box actually has 1600 calories. This is a clever marketing trick done by processed foods industry.
- Cholestrol and sodium – This number is based on one serving so always multiply it in your head by number of servings per container and it will add up to be pretty big for your daily sodium intake diet.
- Total carbohydrate: This section is very important. The first subsetion you’ll see here is dietery fibre. Having a good amount of dietery fibre is recommended as it helps in digestion and satisfaction from your meal. Its also important to see what kind of carbohydrate you’re eating. If carbohydrate content is high but dietery fibre is low, its not a good sign as you are eating more sugars and unrefined carbohydrate which are a source of a lot of diseases and problems.
- Protein: You want most of the food you eat to have a good amount of protein as it makes you feel satisfied and build lean muscle.
- Vitamins and minerals: Just ignore these. These amounts will be notoriously low and try to eat more fruits and vegetables instead.
If you found this article useful, do let us know in the comments below!